Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Downsizing

Well, I am back in action for sure now. During this summer I have had the opportunity to step back and take a look at the direction my life has been heading and do a little thinking on it. So far, what I think is this: I'm going in too many directions all at once.

Now this is actually the usual state of my life, so it is hardly a big shock or anything that I feel I need to fix right away. Except that I really want to, because I think it will make me happier. So here it is, and I'm pretty happy with what I've hammered out.

First, the knitting stays. Period. That was actually on the table for a minute or two, simply because somewhere between casting on a ton of big projects and now I have lost 35 pounds. This is great, and it is about half what I ultimately need to lose, but it means I have lots of stuff on the needles (and even finished *gulp*) that needs ripping and restarting. That alone nearly did me in when I realized the extent of the possible destruction needed. Or the gifting. That's not decided yet, but since the knitting keeps me from stabbing people, I thought it would be a good thing to continue.

The SCA stays. But on my terms. Really, it has to stay, because my husband enjoys it so much (and I enjoy it, too, sometimes...) but I will hopefully enjoy it more now, thereby making us both happier. First thing I did was change my persona from the 14th c Welsh thing I haven't really been doing to late Roman Empire, and changed my name to start. The rest, it will come, but not at the expense of my inner peace, so the time frame will be very relaxed. This will also prevent me going all stabby. And this is good, right?

The glass stays. I truly enjoy hot and cold glass, and with a newly discovered resource for classes and supplies, and a new configuration for my torch, as well as a whole new world opening up for me with borosilicate and blowing techniques, glass is a keeper.

The bellringing may be going. Not that I don't love it, I do. But I'm spread too thin. Maybe if I had found it at another time in my life, but right now I have only so much time to allocate and some of it needs to be rest. And I realized that I was a lot less exhausted before I started ringing because I wasn't running somewhere every evening to do something somewhere else and I need that down time back.

Spinning is going for now. I am far more in love with the idea of spinning than the reality of it. The end.

The blog is staying. But it will change a bit. It will begin including glass and SCA as well as anything else I want, because I don't intend to have a separate blog for everything. Plus, I now use Ravelry for much of what I had originally intended to use this blog for in the first place, asit is much smarter and better organized than ever I could be on my own, and that only leaves ranting for the blog. Even I would like it to be more than that.

The knitting machine is staying. I still get shivers thinking about all the stuff I can do with it when I have the time, so it can stay, albeit in semi hibernation, until I have that time.

Mean people are going. I used to try to be civil and polite to everyone, especially those who were not so to me (and that mostly out of sheer bloodymindedness). All bets are off now. I don't have time for it. If people are rotten to me or my friends, to hell with them. And since I am lucky to be friends with the best people in the world, I win.

BTW, lack of inclusion in the above links does not signify anything more than I ran out of words I wanted to link to.

So there. I'm about halfway through the weight loss and halfway through my life reclamation project. It must be time for Skycoaster!

11 comments:

Janice in GA said...

Dude, don't give up on spinning till you've spun with MEEEEEEEE!!!

Hockey Mom said...

I totally get it. While I'm sorry to see the spinning going (I mean REALLY), you need to focus on what brings you joy.

But, really, if anyone can bring you back, it would be Janice. She's not called Obi-Wan-Spinobi for nothing!

I made the decision a couple of years back about mean people and it feels so good.

*hugs* and I hope I get to see you soon!

Barb_in_GA said...

Been on this road for a while now, myself. Somehow, I haven't managed to lose 35 pounds. Hm.

Congratulations on separating the wheat from the chaff.

Debbie D said...

Good for you!

Eve said...

Good for you making the tough decisions about what's important to you. I admit that I will love reading about warm, melted glass and the SCA in your blog.

Kim said...

Good for you on figuring out your priorities. I wanna see your glass and SCA stuff!!

Unknown said...

Downsizing can be a very freeing thing. You've got to do what makes you happy and keeps you sane. Congratulations on the 35 lbs and simplifying your life.

aliceh said...

I am so glad to know you are still feeling better and your absence from blogging is just a matter of getting your life under control. I always wondered how you did everything. I enjoyed the bell blog while it lasted and will continue to follow the "general, cover all aspects of the chickengoddess' world" blog. So how did you lose the weight?

aliceh said...

Well I am glad to know that your absence from blogging is due to trying to get your life under control and not being sick. I am looking forward to reading your new, all encompassing chickengoddess blog.
How did you lose 35 pounds? It wasn't just the surgery was it?

aliceh said...

Well I am glad to know that your absence from blogging is due to trying to get your life under control and not being sick. I am looking forward to reading your new, all encompassing chickengoddess blog.
How did you lose 35 pounds? It wasn't just the surgery was it?

aliceh said...

can you tell, I don't have the hang of this yet? Sorry