Friday, February 10, 2006

I don't know whether to feel lucky or rejected...

Well, what an exciting Friday evening! My husband and I are just getting ready to go to an SCA event, packing up the car and getting stuff together when he goes down to the basement to get our chairs and finds the hasp to the basement door broken off. Broken into. ACK!

The good news is that there doesn't seem to be anything missing. The bad news is that we are having to call cops and deal with a broken door instead of heading out for a weekend of fun.

About 3 weeks ago our next door neighbor's basement was robbed of his lawn equipment, but he didn't have a lock on his door. Why I don't know, but that's his decision I guess. We had a lock. Had.

So now I am struggling with all those queasy feelings you get when you have been a victim of a break in. Violation. Anger. Worry. Weird.

Even weirder is that I am feeling a little rejected. Were our tools not good enough for this particular theif? What probably happened was that he got as far as the lock and got scared or discovered or something. But I have a sense of pride in the tools we have, and it is a strange thing to feel that they were worth stealing and that I have been somehow slighted.

Chalk it up to the post break-in emotional loop de loops, I guess. Even now as I am waiting on DeKalb Countys' finest to show up and write the report (and I have nothing but the best to say about what few experiences I have had with our police) I am sitting here blogging about it. I guess I don't know what else to do. Maybe I'll go knit. Or join a webring. Yep, I have been wanting to join this one for ages now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Feel lucky! It beats the alternative!